Progressive Insurance, one of the largest insurance companies in the United States, has faced several lawsuits in recent years. These lawsuits allege a range of wrongdoing, from unfair business practices to discrimination.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage Dispute
In 2019, a class action lawsuit was filed against Progressive alleging that the company misrepresented its underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. UIM coverage is designed to protect policyholders if they are injured by a driver who has less insurance than is needed to cover the damages. The lawsuit alleges that Progressive misled policyholders about the limits of their UIM coverage and the conditions under which it would pay out.
In 2022, Progressive was sued for a data breach that exposed the personal information of more than 347,000 customers. The lawsuit alleges that Progressive failed to take adequate security measures to protect its customers’ data.
Gender Identity Discrimination
In 2023, a former Progressive employee filed a lawsuit alleging that he was subjected to gender identity discrimination by the company. The former employee, who is transgender, alleges that he was misgendered, passed over for a promotion, and subjected to an unwanted transfer.
Sales Tax and Fees Class Action Settlement
In 2023, Progressive reached a settlement in a class action lawsuit alleging that the company underpaid customers for sales tax and fees when their vehicles were totaled. The settlement provides cash payments to customers who were affected by the practice.
South v. Progressive
In 2023, Progressive reached a settlement in a class action lawsuit alleging that the company used inaccurate valuation reports to underpay customers for totaled vehicles. The settlement provides cash payments to customers who were affected by the practice.
Progressive Insurance has faced a number of lawsuits in recent years, alleging a range of wrongdoing. These lawsuits are still ongoing, and it remains to be seen what the ultimate outcome will be. However, the lawsuits raise important concerns about the company’s practices.
What is a class action lawsuit?
A class action lawsuit is a lawsuit filed on behalf of a group of people who have been harmed by the same or similar actions of the defendant.
What is underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage?
UIM coverage is designed to protect policyholders if they are injured by a driver who has less insurance than is needed to cover the damages.
What is a data breach?
A data breach is an incident in which personal information is accessed or stolen without authorization.
What is gender identity discrimination?
Gender identity discrimination is any form of discrimination based on a person’s gender identity or expression.
What is a class action settlement?
A class action settlement is an agreement between the plaintiff in a class action lawsuit and the defendant to resolve the lawsuit.
What is the outcome of the South v. Progressive class action lawsuit?
Progressive reached a settlement in the South v. Progressive class action lawsuit in 2023. The settlement provides cash payments to customers who were affected by the company’s practice of using inaccurate valuation reports to underpay customers for totaled vehicles.
- Martinez v. Progressive Preferred Ins. Co., et al. Class Action Settlement: https://www.progressivenmumsettlement.com/
- South v. Progressive – Home: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/insurance/progressive-schemed-with-mitchell-to-reduce-payouts-for-total-loss-cars-class-action-alleges/
- Progressive faces lawsuit for allegedly undervaluing totaled cars: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/insurance/progressive-allegedly-underpays-auto-insurance-total-loss-claims-say-car-owners/
- Progressive Casualty Insurance Sued Over Years-Long Data Breach: https://www.idstrong.com/sentinel/progressive-insurance-hit-by-a-data-breach/
- Progressive Insurance must face trial in trans discrimination case: https://www.hrdive.com/news/progressive-insurance-must-face-trial-in-trans-discrimination-case/694411/